This page presents some of the volunteer opportunities we currently have available. Review this list to see if you’d be interesting in helping with any of these initiatives. If you’re interested, each section provides an email address you can contact to get involved.
The Advertising committee is active throughout the chapter program year and consists of a manager and one or more member volunteers.
- Securing advertisers for inclusion in the bi-monthly newsletter, Byline.
- Securing sponsors for program meetings and annual Chapter Recognition and Awards Banquet.
If you’d like to help with advertising, please contact email@example.com.
The newsletter committee is responsible for producing an online eNewsletter titled Byline. The committee consists of a manager and one or more members, although any STC member may submit articles, as appropriate.
The newsletter should inform members about Society and Chapter activities. A primary goal for this committee is to implement sound technical communication skills to present a newsletter that properly presents and informs the Chapter.
- Producing a bi-monthly online eNewsletter that presents the Chapter in a professional manner.
- Soliciting articles from Chapter officers and members. Collecting articles from Chapter officers, the Program Manager, and other committee managers and members, as appropriate.
- Providing clean copy-editing for all articles submitted.
If you’d like to help with the Byline, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The competition committee conducts the annual Chapter-level Technical Communication Competition and works with the Program Manager to organize the awards portion of the annual Chapter Recognition and Awards Banquet. The judging rules, categories and prize levels of the Chapter competitions are the same as those used for the Society’s international competitions.
- Soliciting, training, and mentoring judges for the annual competition.
- Conducting a training session for new and returning judges.
- Assigning judging teams and work with the Entries and Awards Manager to assign entries to teams.
- Conducting and overseeing Consensus Judging.
- Helping with the planning and organization of the annual Chapter Recognition and Awards Banquet.
If you’d like to help with the competition, please contact email@example.com.
The membership committee consists of a manager and one or more volunteer members. The Membership committee coordinates membership drives, welcomes new members and is available to new and existing members to answer questions about membership benefits.
The membership committee actively seeks to increase the membership of the Chapter. The committee maintains a list of the current members of the Chapter and is responsible for providing member contact information to the Administrative Council and other committees as needed.
- Planning and conducting the annual membership drive and contest to increase membership and to entice inactive members to participate. Coordinating this effort with the Society’s annual Renewal Challenge, as appropriate.
- Writing brief articles for Byline advertising the membership drive and then summarizing the results after its completion.
- At the end of March, the Society office sends a list of non-renewing members with the monthly membership report. Contacting the non-renewers in April and May, or send them a letter or postcard encouraging renewal.
- Providing new members with a welcome letter from the Chapter with an explanation of membership benefits.
- Answer inginquiries from non-members about the Chapter and STC.
If you’d like to help with membership, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The mentoring committee is responsible for coordinating interviews between senior writers and the students or recent graduates from tech comm programs. We’re always looking to grow our roster of available interviewees. The more volunteers we have for this service, the fewer interviews you’ll have to do yourself. So help us get more volunteers by becoming one today and recruiting your STC Chicago friends!
- Conducting an in-person or telephone interview with a student interviewee for 30 to 60 minutes as needed. Students are responsible for coming up with the questions.
If you’d like to be added to our roster of volunteer interviewees and you’re a chapter member, please contact email@example.com.
The Program committee coordinates the STC Chicago monthly Chapter meetings. The committee consists of a manager and one or more volunteer members.
The program committee schedules and plans meetings that appeal to all members and will help them widen their knowledge of the field and their resource networks.
- By the August AC meeting, having the final program schedule for the program year. You do not have to every speaker arranged, but you should have topics assigned to a month.
- Preparing a budget of expenses and income.
- Arranging for speakers for each program.
- Before each meeting, helping the speaker set up equipment, introduce the speaker to the president and others, and gather feedback from attendees.
- Depending on meeting plans, obtain refreshments, as needed.
If you’d like to help with the program committee, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Publicity and Marketing
The Publicity and Marketing committee publicizes the activities and achievements of the chapter through a variety of media and secures sponsors for monthly Chapter meetings, as needed, as well as the annual Chapter Recognition and Awards Banquet. The committee consists of a manager and one or more volunteers.
The manager of this committee also acts as the Chapter representative on the planning committee for the annual eLearning Showcase, as applicable.
- Planning and releasing At-a-Glance, the monthly chapter eUpdate
- Keeping the Constant Contact mailing list current and using Constant Contact to advertise monthly programs and other important Chapter events.
- Publishing events and articles to the Chapter blog, Facebook account, and Twitter, when applicable.
If you’d like to help with marketing, please contact email@example.com.
The Scholarship committee works together with local faculty members to award financial support to students who wish to continue their education in the field of technical communication.
- Working with local university and college faculty to solicit entrants for scholarships.
- Reviewing all applications for scholarships and recommend scholarship winners to the current Administrative Council.
- Working with the current treasurer to ensure the scholarship is delivered to the recipient’s school.
If you’d like to help with scholarships, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.[
Web and Online
The Web and Online committee is responsible for the production and maintenance of the chapter’s website.
- Keeping the site updated with the most current information, making sure to delete or archive old articles and publications as necessary.
If you’d like to help maintain our website (and pages like this one!), contact email@example.com.
Workshop and Seminar
The Workshop and Seminar committee produces educational events, including workshops, conferences, exhibitions, and special projects to help chapter members improve their professional skills.
- Planning and coordinating 1-2 workshops for each program year, appropriate for the current membership need.
- Preparing a proposal for the workshop(s) to present to the Administrative Council for approval.
- Once the topic is approved, securing the trainer and location.
- Arranging for refreshments, as necessary.
If you’d like to help with a workshop or seminar, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
BylineOur bi-monthly newsletter, Byline, contains chapter events, messages from our officers, and exciting announcements!
Read our latest issues >>
Join Our Mailing ListNews! Networking! Contests! Get the STC Chicago newsletter (and the occasional hot announcement)!
Society for Technical CommunicationSTC Chicago is a chapter of the Society for Technical Communication.