STC Chicago offers educational scholarships for college and high-school levels, two for college students pursuing a technical communication-related degree or certificate and two for high school students considering a technical communication-related degree or certificate. See specific requirements for each below.
This year, STC Chicago is sponsoring two $1,000 scholarships for educational purposes, plus a one-year paid STC Student Membership, including STC Chicago Chapter dues. The purpose of this scholarship is to encourage academic excellence, provide the profession with educated communicators, and promote greater awareness of and participation in the Society for Technical Communication (STC).
Who Can Apply?
Eligible applicants must be current students pursuing technical communication-related degrees or certificates at accredited educational institutions in the United States. Past applicants and winners can apply again as long as the entry materials were created in the last 15 months and are from publications that were not submitted before. However, no person can win the STC Chicago scholarship more than twice.
Applications must be received by email on or before January 31, 2020. Applicants will be notified of the committee decisions by February 28, 2020. Scholarship monies are paid for the upcoming Fall term directly to the educational institution at which the recipient is enrolled in his or her name. STC membership will commence in January 2020.
Submit all of the following items:
- Completed application form.
- Description of career goals and achievements: One page description that includes an explanation of why you chose the field of technical communication.
- Samples from coursework or professional/workplace work. Submit one or two samples of your schoolwork or professional work. For each sample, describe the project or assignment, your role in planning and developing the project, and whether you completed the project on your own or as part of a team. For example, if you were the editor for a brochure or pamphlet, tell us this and the process that you followed as the editor. If anything was professionally edited or reviewed, let us know.
- Recommendation letter from faculty.
How Are Applicants Evaluated?
The STC Chicago Scholarship Committee will evaluate applicants based on the following criteria:
- Writing quality demonstrated in the application materials
- Potential to contribute to the field
- Likelihood of working in the field
- Strength of faculty recommendation
- Academic records
- Additional observations from the evaluation committee judges
STC Chicago reserves the right not to award a scholarship (and to select an alternate winner) if they become aware of or have reasonable grounds to believe that a winner is not eligible. They also reserve the right not to award the scholarship any year in the event that there are no suitable candidates that showcased adequate talents during the competition or no candidates who fully met the application criteria.
In evaluating samples, emphasis will be placed on technical communication skills that you are developing through your academic studies.
“I feel so blessed to have received not only financial assistance in the form of two scholarships from STC Chicago, but also the professional validation of my abilities. STC Chicago has been a big part of my academic experience, and I wanted to thank the organization, again, for everything it has bestowed on me.”
Tracy Castro, winner 2013 & 2014
High School Scholarship
STC Chicago is sponsoring two $500 scholarships for educational purposes with a one-year paid STC Student Membership including STC Chicago Chapter dues.
Who Can Apply?
Eligible applicants must be current high school students considering technical communication-related degrees or certificates at accredited educational institutions in Illinois, Indiana, or Wisconsin.
Applications must be received by email on or before January 31, 2020. Applicants will be notified of the Scholarship panel decisions by February 28, 2020.
Scholarship monies will be paid for the Fall 2020 term directly to the educational institution at which the recipient enrolls. STC membership will commence in January 2020. It is the responsibility of the winner to provide disbursement information to the Scholarship manager.
Submit the following items:
- A completed Scholarship Application form.
- A faculty signature confirming that the applicant is a student in good standing with the GPA shown on the application form.
- Technical writing exercise: See the Technical Writing Exercise document for details.
- A one- to three-paragraph description of your career interest in the field of technical communication including an explanation of why you chose this field.
The STC Chicago Scholarship panel will evaluate applicants based on the skills demonstrated in the Technical Writing Exercise.
STC Chicago reserves the right not to award a scholarship if they become aware of or have reasonable grounds to believe that an applicant is not eligible. They also reserve the right not to award the scholarship in the event that there are no suitable applicants that demonstrated adequate skills through the application materials or no candidates who fully met the application criteria.
Please direct any questions you have about these scholarships to the Scholarship Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.