***Entries for 2020 are now closed***
STC’s Chicago Chapter annual Technical Communication Competition has begun, and we need your entries.
Although this is a competition, each entry is evaluated on its own merit. Judges will provide detailed feedback on an assessment form. Some of the reasons to participate in the Technical Communication’s Competition are to
- Establish professional standards for our work
- Provide visibility for our profession
- Recognize outstanding work effort of technical communication professionals
The categories for entries are
- Training Materials
- Informational Materials
- Promotional Materials
- User Support Materials
What can be entered?
- Contain sufficient technical, scientific, medical, or similar content to qualify as technical communication
- Have been produced or substantially revised within 24 months preceding September 1 of the current year
- Have been originally prepared for and accepted for publication by a client, employer, or publisher
The submission deadline is October 18, 2020 (11:59pm CDT).
*NOTE to previous entrants: This is an earlier submission timeframe than in past years*
- $50 for STC Chicago chapter members
- $75 for other STC members
- $25 for full-time students
- $100 for non-STC members*
*Note to non-STC members: If you join STC in September or October of 2020, you’ll be able to take advantage of a pro-rated/discounted membership fee. In addition to all basic membership benefits, you’ll be able to take advantage of member rates for the competition.
Where do I submit my entries?
Electronic entries are preferred, but not required. Send electronic entries (files or links), along with one completed entry form via email to
Each entry packet must include 4 copies of the application and 4 copies of your entry. We also recommend including a copy of your payment receipt with your entry packet.
Ship your packet of physical entries to
STC Chicago Competition
1720 Maple Ave, Apt 409
Evanston, IL 60201
STC International Summit Awards Notice
NOTE: There will not be an International Summit Awards (ISA) competition held in 2021. Therefore, winners of the 2020 STC Chicago Technical Communication Competition will not move on to any other competition.