STC Chicago is sponsoring two $1,000 scholarships for educational purposes, plus a one-year paid STC Student Membership, including STC Chicago Chapter dues for each of the scholarship winners. The purpose of this scholarship is to encourage academic excellence, provide the profession with educated communicators, and promote greater awareness of and participation in the Society for Technical Communication (STC).
Who Can Apply?
Eligible applicants must be current students pursuing technical communication-related degrees or certificates at accredited educational institutions in the United States. Past applicants and winners can apply again as long as the entry materials were created in the last 15 months and are from publications that were not submitted before. However, no person can win the STC Chicago scholarship more than twice.
Applications must be received by STC Chicago no later than March 31, 2021, 11:59PM Central Standard Time. Applicants will be notified of the committee decisions by the end of April.
Scholarship monies are paid for the upcoming Fall term directly to the educational institution at which the recipient is enrolled in their name. STC membership will commence on January 1, 2022,for the calendar year 2022.
Submit all of the following items:
- Completed application form.
- Description of career goals and achievements: One-page description that includes an explanation of why you chose the field of technical communication.
- Samples from coursework or professional/workplace work. Submit one or two samples of your schoolwork or professional work. For each sample, describe the project or assignment, your role in planning and developing the project, and whether you completed the project on your own or as part of a team. For example, indicate you were the editor for a brochure or pamphlet and describe the process that you followed as the editor. If you were part of a team, tell us the size of the team and explain your role. If anything was professionally edited or reviewed, let us know.
- Recommendation letter from faculty or advisor.
How Are Applicants Evaluated?
The STC Chicago Scholarship Committee will evaluate applicants based on the following criteria:
- Writing quality demonstrated in the application materials
- Potential to contribute to the field
- Likelihood of working in the field
- Strength of faculty recommendation
- Academic records
- Additional observations from the evaluation committee judges
STC Chicago reserves the right to rescind a scholarship (and to select an alternate winner) if they become aware of or have reasonable grounds to believe that a winner is not eligible. The Scholarship Committee reserves the right to not award scholarships in any year that no applicants fully meet the application criteria.
In evaluating samples, emphasis will be placed on technical communication skills that the applicant is developing through their academic studies.
“I feel so blessed to have received not only financial assistance in the form of two scholarships from STC Chicago, but also the professional validation of my abilities. STC Chicago has been a big part of my academic experience, and I wanted to thank the organization, again, for everything it has bestowed on me.”
Tracy Castro, winner 2013 & 2014
Applications must be received by STC Chicago no later than March 31, 2021, 11:59PM Central Standard Time. Please direct any questions you have about these scholarships to the Scholarship Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.